Everybody hurts
HOME FAQ portfolio
World AIDS Day
Friday, November 22, 2013 | 11:07 AM | 0 comments

Have any of you ever been really pressurized to have premarital sex? Or have you done it and is concerned of the repercussions? Well, all I wanna say is... You're not alone this time round.

Over the years, I've noticed how situations like these are becoming more and more common amongst teenagers. A question that rings in the minds of teenagers everywhere is, "when is the right time to have sex?"

Although I don't follow the Christian belief, I'm aware that it's only appropriate to have post-marriage sex. In fact, that's how it's actually supposed to be.

Sex is said to be something really precious and should only be given to someone who you really love and trust.

Haha, okay enough with all the preaching. I know that's no longer the case in this generation; usually from the age of 15-19.

Let's be realistic here. Sex is pleasure, pleasure is to have sex. That's how majority of the people around my age feel. And as much as it seems like it's a deadly sin, it's actually pretty universal. At least to me, I actually noticed a vast increment on the number of teenagers being involved in it over the years.


When I was in primary school, even the word "sex" was a no-no, as if you could lose your virginity just by saying it. And when I got into sec school, it scares me every now and then at the number of people who were no longer virgins.

THEN, when I got into Pre-U... it's like... a norm/trend. WOW. 


Well, I'm not encouraging it, neither am I saying I'm against it. In fact, I'm absolutely cool with it.

BUT PLEASE, for god's sake... Don't ever do it just because everyone around you is doing so! That'll probably be one of your biggest regrets in life.

Back to the question - Have you actually thought through what the consequences are before allowing it to take place?

Premarital sex is usually the cause of STIs (sexually transmitted infections), teen pregnancy, and deep emotions of regret.

 STIs flourish in a society of premarital sex, where teens have many sex partners.

Simple. If society has the power to pressurize teens to have premarital sex, it has to be able to educate them about the dangers of it too.


After doing some research... Here are some recent data on: 

1) HIV/AIDS among people in Singapore

In 2012, another 469 Singapore residents were newly reported of HIV infection. About 93% of the new cases were males and 7% were females. 

Nearly 90% of these cases reported in 2012 were between the ages of 20-59, with 63% being single, 23% married and 10% were divorced/separated. 

This brings the total number of HIV infected Singapore residents to 5,775 as of end 2012. Of the people infected, 61% with HIV do not have the virus under control.

2) Most common ways of being infected? How do people get infected?

There are 3 modes of HIV transmission:
1) Blood Transfusion;
2) Unprotected Penetrative Sex (UPS);
3) Mother to Baby during pregnancy and during delivery.

3) What should I do to avoid infection?

You can practice ‘ABCD’: (A) Abstinence, (B) being faithful, (C) correct and consistent use of condoms and (D) early detection. These principles are relevant for everyone regardless of the risk group they belong to.

4) How long can I live with HIV? If I have AIDS, how long can I live?

People living with HIV can live long and healthy lives so long as they seek medical care, look after themselves and live life positively.

5) What should I do if I know that someone has HIV or AIDS?

Act normally. HIV cannot be transmitted through handshake, hug, sharing food, kissing, or sharing household utensils, etc. The biggest challenge for people living with HIV is stigma and discrimination.

.

.

.

I guess one of the things that we all have to face eventually would be the dilemma on whether to put on a condom during sexual intercourse or not, simple due to a the mindset - "Nah, it's fine... Nothing will happen to me."

Well, what I've to say is... Avoid the hesitance, it's always better to be safe than sorry. Like they always say, prevention is way better than cure. No one could save your life for a wrong decision you make.

HIV is an epidemic in the world today because of unprotected sex. I'm not saying you'll be completely safe just cos you put on a condom, I'm just saying that it would decrease the chances of you being infected.

Remember how I mentioned that you won't be in this alone in the earlier part? Durex came up with a global campaign #SomeoneLikeMeSG for young people to revolutionise their own sex education.

"Someone Like Me" simply says that you're not alone in this situation, because HIV could happen to anyone. 

I've also had the same worries before, and it's so difficult to chuck these worries aside sometimes. It can be pressurizing before sex, and it can also be after it happens. 

Why? During your first time, you'd have a million worries on whether you look and smell good, what are the right things to do and say etc... And after that, you'd start worrying of how the other party feels, or what's gonna happen if anything happens.

Well, just to let you know that it's absolutely normal.

So anyway, a few of the other bloggers from Gushcloud, and myself have come up with a video that speaks more about what I've just mentioned above, watch it! (Especially if you didn't really get what I wrote.)




Take a picture of yourself with a World AIDS Day message (same as what I did above) and share it on your Instagram/Facebook/Twitter to create awareness to World AIDS Day with the hashtag #SomeoneLikeMeSG. 

By doing so, YOU can win a pair of tickets to attend the World AIDS Day (WAD) party at Butter Factory on the 30th of November! After posting, leave a comment below with your Facebook/Instagram/Twitter handle and your details and I’ll pick one lucky winner!
Myself as well as many other influencers will be going as well so catch you guys there! 

I wish that all of you learnt some interesting information you never knew from this post!

Lets all work together to make this world a place free from HIV.

Check out their facebook page (here) for more details!

Labels: , , , ,