Everybody hurts
HOME FAQ portfolio
The problem with being a "BLOGGER" today
Tuesday, July 29, 2014 | 7:53 PM | 5 comments

I know there has been a lot of drama happening recently, and this entire thing is extremely immature and has put bloggers in a really BAD LIGHT.

It got me thinking what does being a blogger even mean nowadays.

Blogger - At this rate, everyone can be a blogger... Oh wait, or should I say, everyone wants to be a blogger? Create an account, start up a blog, *BAM* you're officially self-titled a BLOGGER. #Boogerplease

Bloggers today aren't what they used to be.

I can safely say that at least 80% of the population in Singapore have this rather huge misconception that bloggers are all about taking nice OOTDs, posting superficial stuff, writing reviews and having a substantial amount of followers, getting sponsored from head to toe, bed to car. Yes, this are what bloggers do, and I things I won't deny doing as well. But IT FUCKING TAKES MORE THAN JUST THAT in order to sustain in such a competitive environment.

I've been blogging for the last 6 years, since 2008. Starting a blog with the idea in mind that I wanted to share my opinions with everyone. Never have I chose this path in hope of getting "chio" sponsored stuff, or thinking that this is the easy way out to success or fame. I was just lucky enough to have my first ever engagement in late 2011, and that was when I began blogging professionally. FYI, that means that I receive a stable income from it, and I regard it as a full-time job in all seriousness.

1) Self-proclaimed titles

It gives me goosebumps when I'm named "Superstar" or "Celebrity."

I'm not even kidding, but this irks me real bad. Whenever my peers or readers call me that, never once have I felt that I was eligible for that title. There was this one time, I was waiting for the lift at Cineleisure and a group of readers/followers approached me to ask me for a photo, that followed by a couple of tourists asking if I were a celebrity, and all I did was shook my head with diffidence and smiled with ignominy.

Of course, it'd be an honour to be addressed as one, but that should never be something one claims to be.

You can call yourself ANYTHING but whether you are OR NOT is a whole other thing.

You can have a friend with a very nice camera take a nice OOTDs for you, and add a watermark stating "photography" after their name in the picture, but that alone doesn't make you a model. 

I may not be the highest-ranking blogger in SG, but I've put in years of effort to be able to get to where I am today, and I'm definitely still NOT THE BEST. Being a blogger used to be something special to me. I used to have people coming up to me telling me how capable I am to be making more money and to have considerably high amount of followers on all my social platforms, than the people my age.

Nowadays, it's so different, we get 10 year olds who would label themselves as a blogger from owning a blog and people who think they are "the shit" from the followers they BOUGHT.

2) Professional blogger vs. "BLOGGER"

Yes indeed, as a professional blogger, I won't deny that high-paying bloggers earn much more than most freshly graduates, but just because we don't go through the "hard way" (get a proper job that requires me to work for 9 hours a day) of earning money, it doesn't mean that whatever we do is easy. 

I'm not sure about the others who blog for a living, but personally, I've been juggling between school and my career for the past 3 years.

It matters to me to write well
It matters to me to come up with content that my readers can relate to
It matters to me to be consistent and that I will never be complacent even when I'm on a roll
It matters to me that I do not succumb to the norms of society, and narrow-minded haters that expect me to cater to their likes and dislikes
It matters to me that I do not deceive my viewers by advertising things that even I don't believe in, just because I was paid to do so 
If these things do not matter to you, then you should question yourself if you're really cutout to be a blogger.

Yes, I could easily list a zillion perks of being a well-known blogger, such as - Getting recognised; C'mon it's a good feeling to have people coming up to you, making you feel you're so fucking famous. So don't bull and tell me you hate the fame or attention cos you know you're lying to yourself. And if you really hate it so much then shut down your blog and write everything in a god damn diary.

Even 1/2k followers for a "blogger" is considered high compared to an average person and some boast to their friends just to feed their ego.

Honestly, do you really think you're that cool? Cos even I don't think I'm cool, I can afford shampoo, I can afford my own clothes. There's nothing to show off about, nothing to rave on your blog all day long on how you've been sponsored this and sponsored that, if that's really all you have to say.

Yes I do get sponsors, and blog about them, but that's not the only thing that I'm concerned with and talk about.

3) Success comes to those who earn it.

It's no secret that people can rise to fame overnight. Some try extremely hard to, perhaps by starting some little drama because of their little insecurities or doing nonsensical stuff. Soon, they become the talk of the town, they trend for awhile, but whatever it is, it doesn't last. All these come and go. Even if you're good looking, as long as you don't have a strong opinion and you're following blindly with the crowd, nobody will keep up with you for long.

 In time to come, you'd die off and be replaced. There will always be another you that will come along.

To be irreplaceable, one has always gotta be different.

I've seen people who worked hard for the things they are passionate about, even when they hit rock bottom, they never fail to stand up strong. These are the people that I look up to and whom I feel we should all respect. There are still people like these who exist today, and no doubt, some of them have gained the success they've earned. I'm not saying this to convince you that I'm one of these people, but I just want you to know that that group of bloggers still exist, and if you wanna "worship" them, make sure you choose the right one to love blindly.

Labels: ,