Everybody hurts
HOME FAQ portfolio
How to prevent breakouts!
Monday, July 21, 2014 | 8:16 PM | 3 comments

WASH YOUR FACE.

"Washing your face?! You gotta be kidding me right, Naomi? Who doesn't know how to clean or wash their face?"

Well, you'd be surprised to know that many people actually do not possess the habit of washing their face on a daily basis, especially men! 

Just by doing a little research, you'd be able to find tons of articles on why you shouldn't wash your face in the morning. However, in our hot and humid climate, it is important to make sure that your skin is free from oil, dirt and blemishes in prevention of the most unwanted thing, PIMPLES.
A pimple is a small pustule or papule. Pimples are small skin lesions or inflammations of the skin - they are sebaceous glands (oil glands) which are infected with bacteria, swell up, and then fill up with pus.
The sebaceous glands are tiny skin glands which secrete sebum - an waxy/oily substance - to lubricate the skin and hair of mammals (humans are mammals).
In human beings they exist throughout all skin sites except the palms and soles; there is a greater abundance of sebaceous glands on the face and scalp. In our eyelids, meibomian sebaceous glands secrete a special type of sebum into tears.

Sebaceous glands ➭ Sebum ➭ Blockage in your pores ➭ Bacteria ➭ Inflammation of the skin ➭ Pimples/Acnes

Just a little more on the signs and symptoms of pimples:
  • Whiteheads - also known as a closed comedo. These are very small and remain under the skin, appearing as a small, flesh-colored papules.
  • Blackheads - also known as an open comedo. These are clearly visible; they are black and appear on the surface of the skin. Some people mistakenly believe they are caused by dirt, because of their color, and scrub their faces vigorously - this does not help and may irritate the skin and cause other problems.
  • Papules - these are small, solid, rounded bumps that rise from the skin. The bumps are often pink.
  • Pustules - these are pimples full of pus. They are clearly visible on the surface of the skin. The base is red and the pus is on the top.
  • Nodules - these are morphologically similar (similar structure) to papules, but larger. They can be painful and are embedded deep in the skin.
  • Cysts - these are clearly visible on the surface of the skin. They are filled with pus and are usually painful. Cysts commonly cause scars.
Read more (here)

So now that you have a rough idea on the contributing factors to bad skin, what are some ways to prevent breakouts?

Definitely, hormones, emotions, and your health are also reasons as to why you'd breakout, but if there's one way you can definitely prevent that from happening? It's good hygiene.

I've a habit of washing my hands right before I wash my face all the time, and use a tissue instead of a towel to dry my face after cleansing (sorry for killing trees.) Reason being, I feel that towels are usually exposed and are more prone to getting dirt etc on them, especially when they are moist; which calls out for all sorts of bacteria to feed on.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, I'll always wash my face at least 2 times a day, and never touch it with my bare hands! Your hands are probably the ones with the most germs, cos we use them the most throughout the day.

 Many people only wash their face once in the night, cos they feel that "I'm just sleeping at night, how dirty can my face get the next morning?" No matter how clean your room is, there will always be dust, particles and pollutants you can hardly see with your naked eye, which settles on your skin while you're asleep. 

We all know from Science class that our body's still functioning even when we're fast asleep, same goes for our face. It's when you're sleeping when your skin tends to excrete oil from the sweat glands you produce. So it's always good to wash your face in the morning!

Anyway, many of us find it a chore to wash our face, and to add in an additional step of washing your hands... I'd understand why you'd rather skip the whole procedure.

However, what if you can complete your routine within 30 seconds, and you don't even have to bother, whether or not if your hands are properly cleansed?

I believe in the morning, when we have to rush to work or school, a face massage can take up a hell load of time... Which is why, I want to introduce my favourite tool of the month! :D :D :D

*EXCITED*

The NEW Clinique Sonic System Purifying Cleansing Brush. Hahaha, my god, the name is soooo long. I'll just call it the Clinique Sonic Brush from now on.

Let me share with you a little on my experience with face brushes... NONE. lol

Even though I've never had my hands on any of them before, I always had my reservations about these brushes. WHAT IF THE BRUSHES ARE NOT CLEAN?! Or... What if they are so rough that they scrub my skin off?! Paranoia at its best. 

It wasn't until I was asked to try out the Clinique Sonic Brush a while back. After attending their launch of the product, and listening to how it works for more than an hour... I still had my doubts and felt really skeptical. A brush with anti-bacterial properties? And it has a battery that can last for 6 months based on recommended usage?? But honestly, the presentation was really impressive and I must admit that it got me curious.

I was so eager to try it out that I tossed aside my brand new $80 facial foam for it. VERDICT? I LOVED IT!!!

I don't mean to exaggerate or sound like a salesperson now, but I cross my heart that I felt the results instantly!

I've been using it every day and night for more than a week, and I'm literally ASTOUNDED by the way it works.

Not only is their cleanser mild and suitable for all skin types, adding the brush into my skincare regime has saved me lots of time, and made my skin way softer and smoother.

(I made JH touch my skin yesterday and even he was amazed. Hahaha)

I love love love this product! 30 secs and you're ready to go!

It's important to get all the dirt off your face so that it preps your skin from absorbing more nutrients thereafter; like the most common ones, your toner and moisturiser.









The bristles are super soft and its shape helps to reach the difficult areas around your nose. And I can toss my worry (about the brush being dirty) aside cos they reassured that it's fine as long as I rinse it after each application, and change the removable "head" (where the bristles are) after every 3 months.


Guess I'm one step closer to getting softer, smoother skin in no time! Hehehe. Just one week and I could see a vast difference, can't wait to see how it works in a month's time! :p


With this tool, all the oil and dirt will be easily removed! Feel so relieved now. Yet another reason why you should wash your face with such great technology!

I hope you guys learned something! If you're interested to purchase this brush, it's in stores now at the price of $149 and visit (here) for more information.

Feel free to share with me your own effective skincare regime in the comments section! :)

Labels: , , , , , ,